Thursday, April 30, 2009

Tutorial: How to Get Your Own Grab Button

Have you noticed that grab buttons are everywhere these days? Grab buttons are images usually intended for use in a blog's sidebar that link to another site or blog. In short- it's an ad. Grab buttons are the ultimate way to show your support and to spread the word about something you dig. Here's an example of my own spiffy grab button which you may, of course, grab (wink wink)...





Now how do YOU get one? Well, I'll tell ya!

1. Choose the image you'd like to use as your button. I'd make it no bigger than 200 pixels wide so it fits on the average sidebar.
2. Upload your cool new button to the image hosting site of your choice. (I use Photobucket, but it doesn't matter.)
3. In another tab, log into your Blogger account and go to the Page Elements page. Click on "Add a Gadget" and select HTML/JavaScript
4. Copy and paste the following code in the text area:



5. In Photobucket (or wherever you chose to store your button), copy the URL or direct link and paste it in both places where the code says YOUR BUTTON LOCATION.
6. Replace the words YOUR BLOG ADDRESS with...your blog address. :)
7. You can change the size of the box below your button by adjusting the numbers 4 (rows) and 22 (columns). You don't have to, but I just thought I'd let you know.
8. Build your blogging empire!

*I have a bunch of blogging tutorials lined up so let me know if there is something in particular you would like to know and I'll add it to the list!