Friday, September 10, 2010

Forrest Friend & Freebie

We have officially survived the first week of school! It really went better than I even hoped. I've missed my little 2nd-grader and kindergartner so much, but I've had a total blast playing with my youngest who is still at home with me. We go to the park almost every day...which is kind of silly because all she ever wants to do is swing and we have a swing in our backyard. :) All three of my girls have been like that. Isn't it neat how much children love the simple joy that comes from being on a swing? That's why when I heard about my friend Forrest's quest to bring a swing for disabled children to our local park, I vowed to do whatever I could to help. Before I became a stay-at-home mom, I was a nanny for quadruplets with Cerebral Palsy. It was a truly incredible experience which will forever remain with me. I have such a soft spot in my heart for the sweet individuals who suffer from this condition.

Forrest is a 14-year-old whose brother, Zach, has Cerebral Palsy. While growing up, Forrest watched helplessly as his older brother missed out on the fun of playing at the playground. He made it his mission to bring a Liberty Swing to Whitehall, Michigan. When this swing is installed, it will enable Forrest's brother and all others who are in wheelchairs to participate in an activity that many of us take for granted. Liberty Swings were created in Australia and are not cheap. They cost $16,000 with shipping. (That is A LOT of shoes!) Having said that, this amazing young man has already raised $10,000. Seriously, how many 14-year-olds do you know who would work that hard to raise that kind of money...and for such a worthy cause? Forrest's love and determination are so inspiring! He recently became involved with the Pepsi Refresh Project to further help him reach his goal. Have you heard about that? Simply put, people submit ideas and the ideas that get the most votes, get the funding. If that's Forrest, he will have enough money to purchase and install the original swing as well as purchase another one! Will you do me a favor and vote for this very special project? It would mean so much to me...and to so many others! It only takes a minute to vote and you can do it again each day. Will you please please please help? Yep. I am totally begging. You can share this idea via Facebook, Twitter, and just about anything else from the voting page. You can even text Pepsi at 73774 and enter the following number in the body of the text to vote for the Liberty Swing project: 102161. Nothing would make me happier than to see this thing plastered all over the internet. Let's do something good, friends!


Vote for the Liberty Swing Project


The clip isn't working on the Pepsi site so here's a little video to illustrate exactly what this swing is all about:


Oh, and just to show my gratitude, here is a freebie I cooked up for you, my good-doing friends. It's just a silly little doodle I'm calling the Forrest Friend Freebie, but it looks rather sweet in your blog posts. As always, if you need a little help figuring out how to customize this little goody, check out the video on our FAQ page. Here's an example of what your finished freebie may look like using my favorite 2nd-grader to demonstrate:


Go VOTE and then download the Forrest Friend Freebie HERE!